Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Today's Preps and Ponderings

Today was our return trip to Cadillac to pick up Kitty and have our dog Lady's shots updated. She also had three lumps on her aspirated. Came home with a bandage and antibiotic on one spot that looks suspicious. There were not enough cells in the sample the vet drew to tell for certain what's up so we're to "watch" it for further developments. Hopefully, it heals. After that $190 bill - including Kitty's declawing and spaying - we stocked up on Science Diet canned dog food, light bulbs and Sweetie's sweets. See, there's a reason I call him by that name. Never seen anyone consume so much sugar and not be a diabetic. Miniature candy bars and Life-Saver mints are his mainstays.

While at the vet's I asked if we could get a "supply of" antibiotics for our pets. Guess I should have rethought and rephrased my question 'cause I got one huge lecture in a very suspicious tone. Oh well, I'll go online and shop. Can't recall all the specifics just now, but I know there are veterinary meds that are fine for humans. Another thing to research again because I didn't print the info out earlier!

Once we were home I dug the remaining carrots from the garden. Planned to leave them in the ground for "fresh" carrots but between the deer and the rains the soil was too mucky and had started rotting the roots. Follw that with a freeze and they'd be mush. Now I'm canning seven quarts of carrots; have frozen five quarts and added some to a pan of sauteed zucchini tonight.

A few tips regarding carrots: I take a knife and large metal colander to the garden and slice the tips and tops off the carrots as I pick them. No mess in the house and the leafy tops don't need to be returned to the garden/compost pile. Also, I seldom ever peel carrots. Just give them a good scrubbing and keep a knife handy in case you need to remove a bad spot.

Likewise, I never peel potatoes. For scalloped potatoes I just wash and slice the potatoes into a baking dish or oblong cake pan, add a can of evaporated milk, some butter, and salt and pepper and mix. Cover the dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. About 20 minutes into the baking, I open the dish and stir. If the potatoes appear too dry I add some water or powdered milk mixed in water. If too moist I sprinkle flour over the top and mix again. Guess I'm just a lazy cook.

Evaporated milk also makes an appearance in creamed soups like broccoli, potato or pumpkin/squash; mashed potatoes, instant or cooked puddings, and sausage gravy.

Preps as gifts: We're gearing up for our trip north so that means packing Christmas boxes for my children and grandkids. A box of pots and pans goes to my sister and one son and each adult will also receive a lidded plastic storage box with the ingredients for seven suppers (plus instructions/recipes) and a stash of toiletries in addition to their "gifty" stuff. They all know this is coming and are amused by my concern for their welfare. Oh well, there will be a time when each has to use something from the box and then it's me who will be amused.


That's all for now folks. Have a few more stitches to complete the quilt binding/border. Treesong

No comments: