Monday, February 9, 2009

Garlic - The Good News Today!


Despite the challenges with our transportation, there was good news today.

My cousin sent me a small package containing the LAST of his father's garlic seeds and 10 garlic cloves!!

I IMMEDIATELY used one garlic clove in the sauerkraut we were having tonight. Ahhhh....the aroma, the taste, the pleasure of eating garlic.

I've not bought any garlic cloves in awhile; instead relying on my stash of garlic powder. So, it felt like being gold nuggets to have garlic cloves in the house!

To this year, God willing, I'll continue a family tradition and plant garlic.

My uncle died just before Christmas and his garlic growing wisdom was included in his obituary! Alas, his son does not know what kind of garlic seeds these are but, oh well.

My uncle grew garlic for at least 65 years!!!! About half of his yard was devoted to garlic. He ate garlic sandwiches four or five times a week; put minced garlic in the butter crock; added it to soups, stews, pasta sauces, and most of his home canned vegetables. He carried garlic bulbs in his pockets and snacked on them at will. Braided garlic hung in his basement stairwell and was strung together to trim the Christmas tree!

Relatives swapped garlic tales at his wake and a few garlic bulbs will be planted at his grave site this fall. Gilroy, California may be the garlic capitol of the world but pales in comparison to the memories of my uncle and his garlic!

I am so honored and privileged to have received these seeds and cloves. God Bless garlic!!!!

1 comment:

HermitJim said...

I think it's great that you were given the garlic...what a treasure to pass down from generation to generation.

I just love garlic with just about everything!