Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Just Shake My Head

Anymore it seems trying to discuss preparedness with people is like talking to a wall. Not sure why but I seem to run into these morons in clusters.

Example #1:

Youngest sis called looking for my Dad. She asked what I was doing and I said I was fine tuning my shopping list. "Don't you have enough?," she asked. "Never," I said. Then she tells my about her latest shopping trip. "I bought a few groceries, some wall border and more paint." When I asked why a "few groceries" she claimed she "needed" the wall border. I asked how her new job was going and she said she's now scheduled "on call." So, in the flush of two 36-hour a week paychecks she's painted and papered her rented home, bought more subliminal CDs and a "few" groceries. Before month's end she'll be at the food pantry.

Example #2:

The neighbor's girlfriend has found a part time job. She had one last fall but left after the boss "kept screwing with" her schedule. Working weekend nights interfered with their barroom antics. Now she's working as a babysitter. "The hours are great and by June 1st I'll have enough saved that we won't have to worry about being broke on the weekends." In other words, they'll have money to party all summer long.

Example #3:

Someone heard from my children that I'm "a prepping nut." She stopped me at the gas station and said, "So what if you have all that food? If the lights are out you won't be able to cook or see anything anyway." Sorry, but I couldn't resist. "You might not be able to cook or see but we will," I boasted. "How's that?" she asked. "A woodstove, propane camp stove and grill; kerosene and Coleman lamps with plenty of fuel; candles, flashlights and spare batteries, oh, and a solar oven," I boasted again. She looked lost a moment, then said, "Okay, suppose all those things don't work. How you gonna eat then?" I smiled and said, "Open a can or jar and insert a spoon." The thought of eating unheated food straight from the container mortified her. "Yuk, Yuk Yuk!" she screamed, as though she'd swallowed sour milk.

Example #4: The neighbor and I met while our for our walks - me heading north, she going south. "You gonna pick a lot of blueberries this summer?" she inquired. "Of course," I said. "And this year we'll can most of them to save on freezer space." She stopped in her tracks. "Why would you want to go through all that trouble?" she said. "Besides, they're small berries and hey'll be floating around in juice." Had to agree with her regarding their size and the juice. "The whole point of picking and preserving them is to have enough to last until the next crop." She laughed and said, "It's too much work. Go buy them already frozen if you're not going to freeze them yourself." As I retired State Police trooper I'm sure she can afford this. I can't and wouldn't consider it anyway.

11 comments:

2 Tramps said...

Try not to let it get to you - easier said than done, I know. It is the modern day story of the Little Red Hen. No one would help her but they all wanted to eat... I have a second cousin who has always lived prepared and she is in her 80's now. Everyone considers her eccentric - everyone but me! She is a waste not, want not person and a whole lot of fun to visit with. She can't believe the things we do here - she thought that no one lived like she does anymore. Just keep doing what you need to and the heck with the rest of them!

HossBoss said...

I would have loved to have asked the lady in Example #3 what SHE would do in either of the circumstances she described. Eat out would have been her response to the no electricity, I'm sure ...but then how widespread is the power outage? How far would she have to drive to find an eatery that had power? As for her 'yuk, yuk, yuk' response ...tell her Ensure has a great shelf life, comes in many flavors and is made to be consumed straight from the container. Geez! She's obviously NEVER been hungry.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

And that wall paste will taste great, unheated, n'est pas???
Yes, I'm mixing morons here.
I'm with ya, Treesong-- I can only shake my head. Fists, I keep pockted.

Slainte.

treesong said...

Thanks all for your comments.

I really think of these examples as my entertainment for the week! No doubt Karma will catch up with them sooner or later. Meanwhile, we'll keep stockpiling.

Oh, by the way, one of our favorite snacks is a can of fruit cocktail straight from the can. They syrup is drained into a container and added to cake batter or frozen for future use.

MyBulletinBoard said...

Hey, thanks for the juice tip. The little things add up. I save the chili gravy out of tamales for casseroles later.
Liz

Bellen said...

Thanks, I needed that dose of humor this morning.

I no longer think of these people as scary - just stupid, stupid, stupid.

I agree with the fruit cocktail altho I still use a bowl. Bet you have 3 containers for juice/liquid - Sweet, chicken and beef - helps keep the waste down and the flavor up.

Sixbears said...

How do people survive the winter there? Around here it's no odd thing to can or have a full pantry. Always figured it was a hold over from the days when it was the only way to survive winter.

Patricia said...

Headshaking is the best response to those folks. We have 'em here too. "I'll prepare when God tells me to prepare" as if God is going to show up for a cuppa java some morning to let them personally know that the world could get a mite rough. Jeez! I've always been a "pantry cook" meaning I keep lots of stuff in the pantry. Goes right along with prepping.
HM

Anonymous said...

Yep!
ANd when the "big one" hits (whatever it is), and the idiots are all dead, that just leaves more for the suriviors who have managed to make it that far.

Keep on prepping.
The Mormons in Utah do it on a consistant basis.

B Woodman
III-per

Anonymous said...

PS - Forgot to ask / mention.
I hope you have sufficient firearms, ammo & training in same to be able to defend your supplies.

'Nuff said.

B Woodman
III-per

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your blog and that you've given me the kick in the arse I needed to get my food storage in gear. Don't let the morons get you down, when TSHTF they won't last long anyway.

Mrs Mills