WE abided by my father's desire to wait until today to go to the hospital for his injuries. Had I thought they were life threatening he would have been taken directly there after arriving at our house.
Anyway, Dad woke up three times this morning: 6:30 a.m., 8 a.m. and 9:45a.m. After eating his oatmeal and having his pedicure (which he sorely needed) we went to the hospital. Arrived and 11:30 a.m. and left at 4:15 p.m. He was seen by a very nice new doctor who immediately realized he was #1, forgetful; #2, in denial; and #3, in need of 24 hour supervision, at least short term. Long story short, he has a torn rotator cuff which cannot be repaired due to his age, his pacemaker and his overall health. He also has a severely sprained left foot, a fractured rib and several other bruises. The doc did say the bruises had "developed at different times due to different mishaps."
Dad came home with his right arm in a sling for a week and an air cast on his foot. Given those two situations he realized he could not stay alone and promptly said, "Well, I guess you get your wish to have me stay with you awhile." I told him we were happy to have him and would never consider NOT caring for him.
Tonight he called my two sisters and gave them the news. His middle daughter lives five miles further from town than he does so she'll check on his cat, collect his mail and shovel his steps. The youngest daughter lives in town, works part time, is unreliable, always broke, etc. Last night I called to tell her of Dad's fall. She said he could stay with her so she could "keep my bills paid." As usual she wants another lifeline. If she had a million dollar lifeline she'd be in the same condition within a month, maybe less.
We never crossed the bridge from Hancock (where the hospital is) to Houghton where Dad's car is parked. Didn't want to give him any opportunity to change his mind and attempt to drive. We offered to pick up clothing and his cat before coming home and he said, "No, I'm not moving in yet."
So, we're thankful he's okay and here with us. He sees the "bone doctor" Jan.12th and hopes he can have the cast and sling removed.
So, I've decided the next several days will be a good "test" for all of us. As usual, Thanks to all of you for your comments.