Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Since Friday

Since Friday...

We've got the engine in the Ford F150 - wheels are running again!

We've cut two full cords of firewood. The cold continues here and we had burnt through five full cords - one more cord than last year. We have at least six more weeks of heating to go though the temps are supposed to reach a balmy 48 degrees later this week. That will warm us up so we can endure all the high winds, rain, snow, sleet and dampness to come. Brrrrr...

I did our monthly shopping by myself! Left Sweetie at home and got a little "me" time. Came home four hours later after intentionally dawdling in the resale shop and three grocery stores.

I'm always here and 99% of the time leave here with him, so he was on the verge of panic. "What took you so long!" Go figure!

After helping him with the truck engine it was best we kept a little distance, if you get my drift. I am not a mechanic. I am not a tool geek who knew the difference between a box end wrench and an open end wrench. I know, I know, I know!!!! So don't comment, please!!!

This guy's lucky. I spent hours in a damp pole barn listening to him cuss when he nicked his knuckles. I handed him tools. I clamped hoses. I maneuvered this part and that part (hey, this ain't a mechanic describing this process!). I brought him lunch and coffee. I called the auto parts dealer and twice borrowed a car to pick up parts. And I'm still scrubbing the grease out of my fingernails, so he best be thankful!!!

And, since Friday, our youngest cat, Kitty Kitty, the Calico that I rescued, has been playing with a mouse. Notice, I said playing, not catching and killing. And since Friday, that mouse has taken the bait from the trap three times without getting caught.

And then today, I woke up with the "drunken sailor syndrome" again. So, me and the walker were best buddies. I'm feeling a more even keeled now though earlier, while taking a well deserved rest, I heard something chewing. The mouse was in our bedroom - not a comforting feeling. I got up in search of Kitty Kitty. She was none too happy about being awakened from her favorite spot on the sofa. Too bad! I told her "no more food until you catch that mouse," then plopped her down on our bed and left the room.

About five minutes later I heard her rustling around and things falling off my dresser. Then, she ran up and down the hall before sliding into the bathroom. She'd cornered the mouse behind the dryer and the waiting game was on. Every once in awhile we'd hear a little tumble but thus far the mouse is winning.

It's going to be a sleepless night unless I take something to knock me out. I'm not a fan of mice - or engine replacements, or grease.

But, life could be worse. Just remember that, Treesong


Bustednuckles said...

Well, ya might not be a fan of grease but I see someone had a learning experience.

I do not begrudge you your dislike but now you have a better understanding of what goes on under the hood and you can easily relate to my handle, Busted Knuckles.
I been doing that shit for thirty years.

Congrats on getting some wheels back under ya and my hat is off to yer old man fer getting it done, in freezing weather.
Tough bastard, I'd say.

I think a nice hot drink is in order.

Sorry to hear ya are getting blasted with the health problems, that sucks serious donkey organ.

Take care,

HermitJim said...

Hey, girl! Congrats on getting a means of transport going again!

Sorry to hear about the health issue, but maybe a little rest and mouse catching will help fix ya up.

Thanks for the update!

Mayberry said...

Well, blood, sweat, and tears are what keeps the works in motion... Never had a mechanical job that didn't make me bleed at least once! And hell yeah, make that kitty earn a livin'! Mice don't bother me too much, but rats.... That's another story. Sick 'em kitty!

ConfessionsOfAnOverworkedMom said...

Hi - Haven't heard from you in a bit. Hope all is OK.