Friday, March 13, 2009

I Am Sick Of My Own Cooking!

That right. I have food fatique. Out of the 1095 meals we consume each year, I probably make 1079. We eat out on average 10 times a year - including the three meals we eat out when we go home to the Upper Peninsula. Sweetie has cooked a meal four to six times in the past 12 months. How do I know? Well, for one thing, the kitchen looks like a class of 5th graders was let loose in there. For another, he fixes his old standbys: hamburgers, baked beans and fried potatoes; double tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches; baked chicken with a veggie and baked potato; or toasted tuna sandwiches and your choice of canned soup. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm ready for something new.

So how about some suggestions from my fellow bloggers? I have a few dislikes and allergies to consider, though. I am allergic to shellfish (the iodine), so no clams, oysters, shrimp and I'm not fond of mushrooms, olives, lemon merangue or sardines.

We're going to Traverse City Tuesday for a dermatology appointment so I'll have an opportunity to shop in different markets. We are coming home that day to a slow cooked corned beef brisket with cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onion. But after that, I need some inspiration!

Later, Treesong

8 comments:

Charity said...

LOL this is so funny, I just called my hubby to ask if we could puhleeeze go out for dinner tonight! I am so sick of my own cooking I could cry :)
We seldom eat out because we are both watching our cholesterol as well as our waistlines. I use my crockpot alot in the winter months and in summer we grill alot.We eat mainly chicken or fish, steamed veggies, brown rice and lots of salads. I cannot tell you how boooring our diet is. Tonight we're going to *splurge* we're going out for Thai food! I'm drooling right now just thinking about it :) I'm lucky if we eat out once a month.I need to look for some healthy but tastey recipes online.

Unknown said...

This is a long time favorite of mine.

Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. (the easy way) marinate a chicken breast in italian dressing at least 30 min. Grill the chicken breast. boil the fettuccine drain and pour in the store brand alfredo sauce. I mix different veggies in sometimes ...depending on whats left over and use milk to make the consistency right. Chop the chicken in the pot, stir, season to taste and serve with hot crusty bread. If ya feel like a salad...so be it.
AND ITS TASTY TOO!! (i love lucy)

Anonymous said...

Check my little blog and read about squab...and its free food for the taking. LivingLesson-meb

An Unsheltered Life said...

Allrecipes.com is a good site to find new things. That's where we go when we get tired of the usual stuff. I like searching by ingredients, because that makes it easy to include or exclude pretty much anything that I want. And I can save recipes or print them out, which is extremely convenient.

I don't have any specific suggestions, but you might find some interesting ideas by doing an ingredients search there. I hope this helps!

Stephanie in AR said...

I'd like to suggest a chicken recipe(s)called "Cheesey Chicken Goodnes". It's my own creation & the directions are here:

http://stephanieinar.homeschooljournal.net/2008/01/02/cheesy-chicken-goodness/

It's good for at least two days worth of meals, usually three but they are all different. Pretty cheap too.

treesong said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm going to try Stephanie's Cheesy Chicken Goodness tomorrow night. Tonight is "Clean Out the Fridge Casserole."

Anonymous said...

This is where having meals with friends or family is nice. Everybody brings something. No one has to eat their own cooking, and it's still cheap. Builds community too.
-sixbears

2 Tramps said...

Come visit us at www.tramps-camp.blogspot.com and check out a few tasty recipes. We, too, heat with wood and often cook on our old wood cookstove. And I, like you, do most of the cooking - Tramp 1 wants to and tries but it scares me!! He cleans things up well but it is how he uses equipment that is frightening. I have tried to explain to him that I am way ahead of him for time spent cooking and that he is merely a lowly apprentice!