Wednesday, June 10, 2009

We Have Arrived

I think today is Wednesday, June 10th. I'm so tired I cannot sleep. I lay there with my eyes wide open and my body aching and nothing gives me relief.

We left Lower Michigan at 7 p.m. Saturday and drove ONE mile before having to turn back. Sweetie's blessed flatbed trailer was over loaded. Imagine that! I won't go into all that is wrong with it now. Suffice to say, he's still intent on hauling it up here - on his next trip.

After parking the trailer in his mother's pole barn we started out again in a terrific downpour. Half an hour later we stopping for a fast food supper. By the time I received our "to go" order it was 8 p.m. I handed Sweetie and his son their portions and climbed into our truck thinking I was going to sit there and eat my chicken pieces. Nope. Off he drove, signaling me to follow. A trip that normally takes 7-1/2 hours to our new home took 8 hours and 20 minutes. We got here at 4:20 a.m. and the rain was still falling. By 5 a.m. we were zonked out but woke up at 9 a.m. to a knock on the door. Neither of us are amused by solicitors, proselytizers or politicians. Sweetie gave the guy an ear full and crawled back in bed. I asked who it was and he very plainly, "I told you I'm not interested!!!"

We woke up again about 10 a.m. to my Dad calling to ask if we would meet him in town for a late breakfast. It's a 22 mile drive one way and fortunately it was me who answered the phone. I made coffee and called my oldest son to ask when he and his brother could be here to help unload. Noon was the agreed upon time so I showered, ate breakfast and drove to town to pick up my oldest granddaughter. By this time my Dad had shown up at her house and decided to tag along. Fine with me as I was now walking like a drunken sailor and my left foot kept falling asleep.

It took until four p.m. to unload everything - most of which just got shoved into the pole barn. Slowly I have been dragging boxes into the house and unpacking. Monday we drove 40 minutes to pick up a sofa, two dressers, daybed and desk chair that I bought on Craigslist. They are the best money I have spent in a long time!

We've discovered the washer has a leak; the window crank on one of our bedroom windows is stripped; there's an additional button or some such thing that needs to be operated to restart the well pump after changing the water filter; and grocery prices will break us within six months if we don't plant a garden soon.

Today I went in search of bedding plants as it's too late to start things from seed. At the first three locations the plants were either frost bitten (despite being in greenhouses) or sold out. At my fourth stop I found Roma and Beefsteak tomatoes, butternut squash, green pepper, zucchini and cucumbers. They were all quite large plants and cost $3 each. I spent $99. By the time I got home Sweetie had spread the topsoil we purchased a couple weeks ago. Tomorrow I plant and hopefully we'll get the garden fence up too.

It has either been in the 40's or raining here every day since Sunday. This weekend it's supposed to get into the 70's. I'll believe it when I see it.

We have dial up Internet that is only connecting at 26K and we receive two TV channels with the antenna and digital converter box. Come Friday - the deadline for the digital conversion - we will receive more channels. I dunno.

Our ground is covered in blueberry bushes with prolific blossoms, so I'm going to curl up on the sofa and dream of blueberry pie.

I have read or watched little of the news and assume it's the same craziness anyway. This dial up is so slow I expect to post about twice a week. I've sent a mass email to my contacts asking them to NOT send me any silly emails that people expect me to forward. I no longer have the time nor inclination to bother with them. Guess I'm paring down in more ways than one.

And before I forget, Sweetie and his son are returning to Lower Michigan Monday. I am NOT going. It would be painful enough to have three of us crammed in the front seat of the truck let alone watching him struggle with the trailer and cleaning up the rest of his mess. His son will be relieved to return to "civilization."

I expect my time alone to be pure bliss while he's gone!!! God knows I love the man but I need a break from everyone and everything. I'll be 22 miles out of town with no vehicle. Maybe we'll have a black out or off season snowstorm and I can really hibernate!!!! It is possible as I recall watching a July Fourth parade in a snowstorm.

Take care everyone, Treesong


Anonymous said...

Sounds like 'heaven' to me. To be alone in the U.P. Enjoy. You may find you appreciate 'sweetie' more when he returns.

Texas Grandma said...

Congrats on your new home! My hubby's a pack rat, too. When people ask me what I do all day, I tell them I battle the forces of Chaos. They either look confused or get a sympathetic smile. So here's a sympathetic smile...

2 Tramps said...

Glad you made it okay. Good to hear how things went. Hope you can get some rest now and settle down to your new surroundings.

treesong said...

This place is Heaven on Earth as far as we're concerned and, yes, I will miss Sweetie while he's gone. But, I will either get a lot done or sit on the deck and read or commune with our critters. Thanks all, Treesong

Did it MY way said...

I sure miss good Michigan tomatoes. Good luck in your new home. Upper Micigan is truely "heaven"