Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Simple Pleasures


The humidity here makes me want to stay in the water all day or stretch out on the sofa with the AC on high. Either option soon bores me so yesterday I took a walk to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes: rock hounding.

The picture above shows the copper specimens I picked up along our gravel road. After the road grader has been by is the best time to find copper. I't looks different than the other pieces of crushed rock; often has a tourquoise patina and is noticeably heavier.

Another favorite pastime is blueberry picking. I picked three pounds yesterday and gave most of it to friends and family. Last year I froze more than 40 pounds; this year I've froze half that. In February, when the wind is howling and the temps are reading 10 degrees there's nothing better than a fresh baked blueberry pie and a strong cup of coffee.

Some maples have begun to color; the ferns are already turning brown and the blueberry bushes are dying off earlier than last year - all signs that we'll have an early winter. High temps and humidity have warmed Lake Superior which translates to heavier snow fall. Personally, I hope for 400 inches or more! A real record breaker would test our preps and perhaps wake up a few sheeple - or send them south. The less population here the better. Trying to re-create a Traverse City, Ludington or Grand Haven here is insane. I'll have none of it. This peninsula isn't on the way to anywhere and has no expressways after the St. Ignace-Sault Ste. Marie corridor.

I sometimes dream of a huge snowstorm that leaves us housebound for at least two weeks. Of course, in the dream we fare well because we've so well stocked. And wouldn't you know as soon as I write that last sentence I think: "Oh, oh, I forgot to buy chocolate bars and cocoa."

Anyway, being a couple homebody retirees means we don't have to commute. And that, my friends, is the best part of living the life we have. Our time is our own.

Have a great week, Treesong

2 comments:

HermitJim said...

Time being yours to spend as you want is well worth it all, I believe!

Better start laying in the chocolate bars and the cocoa...

Don't let the Winter sneak up on ya!

Anonymous said...

The trees are starting to shed their leaves here, also. I don't know if that is a sign of an early winter or not. Locally, here in Western Ky., we are having a drought. My garden went to pot or whatever. We have had temps. in the 100's and today it was 101. Stay cool and healthy.