Wednesday, January 11, 2012

R.I.P. Lady





Sweetie put Lady down about 1 p.m. today.

It's been planned for awhile but that didn't make it any easier. He's had her 11 years and I've shared in her love and care for nearly five years.

The house seems empty tonight. We stare at the spot on the living room floor where she laid. Gone from the floor at the foot of our bed is her quilt covered in towels and blue pads. I've washed her dishes, quilt & towels & placed them in a yard sale bag. The nearly full bag of dog food will be given to a friend tomorrow.

Our three cats wander from living room to bedroom sniffing where she used to lay.

Today I tossed a package of chicken gizzards in the grocery cart, took a couple steps, then realized I don't need them. I stood there and cried while people stared.

Her grave's been dug for weeks and we've delayed the inevitable. With a winter storm looming & Lady totally incontinent the last 28 hours, we had to let her go.

Sweetie took a load of aluminum scrap to the junk yard and Lady rode with him. I had the feeling he'd park next to her grave when he returned. He did as I expected then came inside for an inhaler.

I walked to the car, opened the door and laid next to her for one last hug. I couldn't bear anymore so I went inside. The car blocked my view but not the sound. Every few shovels of dirt Sweetie straightened up, wept and used his inhaler. When finished he came in & we held one another and cried until the tears dried.

My daily routine was consumed by either caring for Lady or thinking about her. Now that she's gone I feel adrift and tired. The emotional and physical toll needs time to heal.

It's said that a dog is man's best friend. Lady was that and so much more.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you both tonight, and if Lady could talk to you right now I know she would say "thank you" for loving her and letting her go....Shelley

2 Tramps said...

So very sorry for your loss. We have been there twice ourselves. Not much can beat the unconditional love of a pet. Thinking of you...

HossBoss said...

I'm sorry, Treesong. It's so hard to let them go but heartwrenching to watch them suffer. You and Sweetie gave her a wonderful home while she was with you.

Sixbears said...

You and your sweetie have my deepest sympathies.

AginKajun said...

So very sorry. Dogs somehow manage to become part of a family and become one of us. It always hurts to loose one.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, it takes about 3 weeks for the pain to get better. Just keep reminding yourself about how much better off she is.

Anonymous said...

As a friend of mine put it. "A member of the family." Please accept my condolences.

mdknighthawk said...

My deepest sympathies.
Thais nothing I can say to make it any better.She will always be in your memories, keep the good and forget the bad.
Richard

Anonymous said...

TS, you gave her a wonderful life, just like family she will never really be gone, just watching from another place:)

Notlim said...

I am trully sorry to hear of your loss, I know how you feel. I myself lost my little friend of almost 12 years. I still shed tears for her as you will to for your friend. again, Sorry for your loss.

shedmaster said...

Sorry for your loss. We know how it feels. Had a Lady too; a Chesapeake Bay Retriever of 16 years when we had to put her down. She taught my wife how to recognize the warning signs of a seizure.

Anonymous said...

So very sorry to read of your loss of a beloved member of your family. One who loved you no matter what. Makes it easier to take care of them and harder to let them go.
Hugs to you both. Tears here for the heartache we have all been through.
We realize at times like these that we are stronger than we think we are. B.