Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Prepping and Boredom

Today's blog title came about because it's the two main things on my mind this early morning.

With regard to prepping we've got the bases covered. Even so, I stocked up on a few things. We don't have a Sam's Club card and won't bother with one and the Walmart in Traverse City is not a Super Walmart, so their selection is limited. Hence the decision to shop at Meijer's. That place has an impressive selection of Mexican and Asian food but pinto beans were about the only thing I bought. An 8# bag was $9.69 which I thought was high so I bought one bag. Today, while we're in town, I'll check the price at Dollar General.

Another blasted appointment in town means another opportunity to stock up. And, even though we have an abundance of supplies here just what else am I gonna do while waiting for Sweetie? I don't shop for the sake of spending money or entertaining myself. I'm not swayed by media pressure to own the latest gadget or CD or designer handbag or jeans. And, hell, I can't afford to anyway! AND, I never go to town for ONE purpose; it's a 20 mile round trip and that gas is gonna count for more than an appointment!

And this is my round about way of bringing up the subject of boredom.

We all experience it at times. If you think not, well, I think you're out of touch with reality. And whether you have loads of money or not; whether you work or are retired like us; whether you have all sorts of projects and supplies; whether you own multiples of anything (think vehicles, ATVs, guns, video games, books, puzzles, computers, satellite TV), you will experience boredom.

So what to do about it? First off, admit it.

Secondly, sit and think about it awhile. Yeah, SIT and THINK about it. Why? Because, as this society continues it's downward slide, we're all going to experience more of it.

Think not? Try going without some of the aforementioned items and see how quickly boredom creeps in. And no amount of "busy work" or blame, or anger, or frustration, or picking on one another is going to avoid it.

Anyone out of work can tell you about boredom. Anyone without the funds to occupy their time can speak of boredom. Any elderly person can tell you that loneliness and boredom are as common as med minders and Depends. Don't believe me? Visit a nursing home. For more proof that boredom is a common human experience vist either a jail, a prison or the local mall!!!!

Third, and this is the real difficult part, start adjusting to this new way of living. I can't tell you how to do that but I can tell you it begins with recognizing that it's essential.

For us, that's meant deviating from typical schedules. When either of us sleep and eat is up to the individual. We've also made deliberate choices about giving one another space - a challenge in a 12x60 mobile home. So, if I go to the bedroom to lay down it means leave me alone. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily tired, it just means I need some alone time. In good weather I'll take a walk but good weather has not visited us lately.

Another thing that contributes to our boredom is geography and population; one form of isolation. And isolation and boredom go hand in hand.

We live 10miles out of town on a side road that's plowed about three times a week. There's little traffic and the neighbors are nearly all a lot older than us. In winter nobody visits. If you happen to walk to the mailbox when someone drives by they may stop to chat. Of the six nearby neighbors, two of us have internet. Though we all have phones it's rare that anyone calls anyone else. None of the neighbors are family. So, out life is quiet isolated. All you people who think of bugging out to the wild blue yonder, well, we didn't have to. We live it now.

However, one needn't live in the boonies to experience isolation. Lose a job and you've lost a lot of your contacts and much of your identity. Lose a family, a marriage or a friendship and you'll experience boredom (among other things).

What I'm really talking about is our need to start develop our inner fortitude. Life is changing right before our eyes and I believe it's going to escalate. Start flexing your mental muscles now folks.

4 comments:

HermitJim said...

Hey Treesong...couldn't agree with you more about dealing with some amount of boredom being necessary. I'm fortunate in that I've pretty much kept a low profile and solitary lifestyle for quite a while now...which isn't easy in a large city. Being single helps, I have to admit.

One thing that people forget to consider is that if you don't like yourself, you are in for a rough time of it. Important we all learn to do that! IMHO...

Enjoy the blog a lot!

treesong said...

Thanks for the comment Hermit and couldn't agree more. It was easier when I lived by myself but then, at times, I got tired of talking to my cat!

And liking yourself is the key to living any kind of life IMO. Otherwise, it's a question of whether or not you're even sane.

Anonymous said...

Treesong,
I do so enjoy your blogs!! You are able to place the picture in the mind with your words!! I remembered the stuck folks in the snow drifts even years ago!!My daddy raised us to always be prepared especially in winter!!We had the snow tires and chains blankets always carried a thermos when going out because nobody had ever heard of water bottles and when babies came along you had a bag packed with extra clothes and diapers (cloth of course they always froze so nice on the clothesline!!) carried my own milk so didnt have to worry with formula!! Anyhow that was years ago and reading your words put the pictures back in my mind and a smile to the face!!Thanks!! By the way don't know if it is the same all over but down here at the dollar general pinto beans are 4 lbs for less than 3 dollars and rice is 10 pounds for 4.75. Not to terrible!! Take the greatest of care!
Florida Mom

Degringolade said...

Nice post tree.

Getting used to boredom is a very important part of growing up.

It is the fear of boredom that drives a great deal of the frenetic activity that you see in America today. I think that it just a desperate attempt to avoid anything resembling self-examination. God knows what you would find there.

I think that the simple act of getting comfortable in you own skin is the first step to a larger freedom.