Thursday, October 13, 2011

Internet and Home Security

Our computers are useable again thanks to a referral from our local librarian. Both were infected with viruses and Sweeties desktop had not been updated properly.

This unexpected expense began when the keyboard on my laptop tanked. After ordering a replacement via the techie (because I knew we'd need more help) I logged on to the PC. What a mess! Sweetie plays Freecell and manages our bank accounts/charge cards online. Once in awhile he does a search. How he got the PC messed up is beyond me but the good thing is none of our accounts were accessed - not that they have much in them.

Once again we were told most viruses enter through people using Facebook. Once again I posted on FB that I have NO INTEREST in online games and why. Once again a couple people messaged me that I was "boring." Oh well!

Thankfully, we could spend $155.00. As prices continue to escalate and income shrinks or stagnates spending is carefully considered - and delayed if possible. Yet, nearly every week I hear of someone who needs their computer cleaned up because they've made careless choices online.

While waiting for the techie I received a call from a friend.

Their home was robbed between noon and 2 p.m. Friday - after the she discovered their computers had been hacked. Notice, I said,"after." On Saturday her husband beat her home and found a messages spray painted on the house and garage - "Your booze was great but your computers were shit."

Robberies are on the increase in this area and bolder than ever. Thieves grab cash, drugs, guns and electronics. Within a hour of the robbery they fence the items in Lansing and keep themselves jacked up until they run dry and hit a few more homes.

My friend's home is within 45 feet of a well traveled road. It was locked up like a fortress so the punks went behind the house and threw and outdoor planter through a window. The nearest neighbors are each about 400 feet away and have a clear view of their house - yet no one recalls seeing a vehicle. Unless they came in by helicopter one must have been there. Otherwise, how did they move three flat-screen televisions, four computers, I-pad, small safe, a case of vodka and sack of prescription pain killers?

I told Sweetie about the incident and he said, "They show up here I'll shoot first and ask questions later." Well intentioned thought but he sleeps through most anything.

Last night my youngest son called and said he and his two children plan to visit this weekend. Thankfully, my mind was on their visit and not sleep. At 3:10 a.m. today I was looking at a photo album when I thought I heard a vehicle. I checked each entrance & looked out the windows but saw nothing.

I sat down again and continued reminiscing. Again I heard the sound and then voices. After sitting in my chair a few minutes I got up, walked to the back door, turned the lock, grabbed the shotgun, slowly opened the door and yelled: "You bastards better hope I miss!"

One of them swore about hitting his foot as they raced down the driveway, jumped in their car and took off. By this time Sweetie had woke up.

He comes to the back door, sees me holding the shotgun and swears. According to him I should have called 911 then woke him up. Perhaps, but I suspect by then the thieves would have been long gone.

Once again they approached our home with out using their headlights - "running dark."
Once again my great hearing and swift action prevented a robbery.

However, this time a certain man here thinks he'll lock up everything every night.
His bass boat was sitting in the yard with the fish finder, poles, tackle boxes, life preservers and THREE motors not attached to the boat. The pole barn was unlocked and one full five gallon gas can was still inside the truck bed where he left it after filling it at 10 p.m..

It doesn't pay to be careless about security. Tackle is spilled on the ground with two broken poles. The largest outboard motor was found half way down the drive.

Will I call 911 next time? Maybe. Our sheriff and state police force have both been cut back. There are simply too many accidents, robberies, domestics and other calls coming into 911 to cover every call promptly. When most resources are used for accidents at opposite ends of the county and your home is being robbed in another location 20 miles from either location, you are your best response.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of man's best friends, Smith and Wesson, Colt, Rueger,Winchester. I have the same feelings you do. B.

Mamma Bear said...

Oh goodness Treesong...You and Sweetie be careful. Have you considered adopting a big dog with a big bark? At least there would be some warning in case you guys are sleeping.

We are on a dead end road. If an unknown vehicle is on our road, they are lost or looking for trouble. I worry more about a couple of neighbors who are absolutely no good. Praying that they move soon. When TSHTF they are going to be the first to go or run.

Shirley said...

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sixbears said...

Wow! Glad you are Okay and that you were able to scare them off.

Mayberry said...

It's getting really hairy out there. Nothing has happened around me, yet... But I fully expect it will soon and am prepared. Good on ya Tree! Defending our property is fast becoming a very necessary daily activity. Woe on the punk who violates my property...

debbieo said...

Reminds me of a joke I read. A senior heard someone outside and saw a light on in his shed. He called 911 and they said to lock his door and stay inside, there were no officers available. He waited a few minutes and called them back and said never mind he had shot the intruders. In no time the cops came and caught the thieves. They said to the man that they thought he had shot the intruders and he said I thought there was no one available.
Dont mess with seniors.