Thursday, April 14, 2011

Life Ain't Peachy Right Now

I am one of millions of uninsured people in the U.S. and now find myself in need of gallbladder surgery.

It's been a rough week of being sick, no energy, not being able to eat anything other than herbal tea and trying to find a doctor who will then enlist a surgeon and put me on the operating table.

As my stools are now white, my skin developing a pale yellow color and my strength ebbing I may just arrive at ER and start screaming.

My diagnosis is actually based on a visit with a clinic PA who felt my abdomen, listened to bowel sounds, took my vitals and my medical history. "I'm 99.9% confident you need your gall bladder removed. However, we need blood work and an ultra sound to confirm this," he said.

I agreed and said, "Then let's get started."

"Well, I'll have to find you a doctor in the hospital willing to take your case and hook you up with another person who will help you figure out how to pay for this," he said.

That was this morning.

Meanwhile, the swelling continues, I'm weaker and the pain has lessened. No wonder! I don't have any nourishment in me!

Tomorrow I call the clinic to see where "we're at."

It's not a matter of not being able to pay for it. It's the fact that the monthly payments probably don't satisfy the hospital, etc. I understand that. I really do. So, I'll deteriorate a bit more until my liver and pancreas are affected.

9 comments:

2 Tramps said...

Oh, my, here's hoping that they get you in right away so you don't suffer anymore! Thinking of you here.

Denbeath said...

Oh My G-D !! I think you should just go to an ER. I don't think they are legally allowed to let you go without treating you. You are in an Emergency Situation. If you skin is turning yellow you are Jaundiced...YOU NEED TO GO TO AN ER...NOW

Anonymous said...

Glad I live in Canada

Anonymous said...

Start drinking apple juice. It helps break down gallstones. You may still need the operation, but maybe it won't be so painful, now.

SHARON said...

GO TO THE ER IN A HOSPITAL NOT A 'MEDICAL CENTER'. LEAGALLY, THEY CAN'T TURN YOU DOWN. Will pray for you girl.

Phil said...

Double what they said, this is deadly serious, get yer hiney to the ER immediately!

Dang, you are stubborn!

Praying for you.

Busted

Kyddryn said...

Go to the ER. At the admissions desk, let them know you can't pay. All hospitals that receive federal funding must treat emergency cases...they cannot turn you away if it is life-threatening. I believe it's called the Hill-Burton act.

Meanwhile, hugs to you...you're in my thoughts for what that's worth.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Anonymous said...

Please go to a Hospital Emergency Room. NOW.
Please take care of yourself
We are sending good thoughts, prayers and have lit a candle for you
Selene

Anonymous said...

As soon as someone hears... let us know how she is doing in the comments. Thanks. B.