Monday, August 3, 2009

A Day Off

Part of staying healthy is exercise; part is eating well, and part is taking TIME OUT!

So this morning I'm taking off by myself while Sweetie stays home working on the boat, etc. I was so excited about today's excursion, I slept like a baby last night and woke up refreshed at 5:15 a.m.

Aside from visiting a few friends, I'll take my annual cemetery tour; walk along a few Lake Superior beaches; visit some old mining communities; and follow a few paths deep into the woods for magnificent hilltop views. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

We have lots of old cemeteries in the area, many with headstones that cannot be read, and plenty of reminders of the copper mining which began here in the mid 1800's - though Native Americans were extracting copper hundreds of years earlier.

Our beaches are still accessible, mostly unpolluted and FREE and one doesn't have to worry about parking, crazy people or theft, for the most part. A fascinating history of people who struggled, survived and prospered is all around me. I like to imagine their lives and whisper thank you's to them as I survey their graves, the ruins of their homes and businesses, the historical markers and the preserved areas.

If you ever have an opportunity to visit what is known as the Keweenaw Peninsula or the Copper Country, I highly recommend it. Because I'm not a tourist, I'll get off the main road and walk among the pines and listen to the gurgling streams and bask in the fresh air and be thankful that God helped bring me back here.

Have a great day everyone, Treesong

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love the Kewennaw area best of all the U.P. I hate to tell anyone about it, I don't want it to get crowded ! Glad you love it too. We have thought seriously about moving to the U.P. Enjoy your day out in it.