Thursday, October 9, 2008

Random Thoughts and Gluten Free Desserts

Today I'm been in a pensive mood. Whole string of random thoughts going through my head.
Like - Have you ever noticed how when someone disagrees with another's perspective or opinion that this feeling of hate wells up inside them? Have you ever spent the day wondering "whatever happened to..." especially in relation to certain people who've passed through your life? Do you listen to your children or grandkids say things like, "I'll never get THAT old," or "I can't wait for (insert whatever phrase you like here)," and recalled the times you said that very thing. And in a way, that time seems so long ago or was it just yesterday?

Gluten Free Desserts: I have a wheat allergy but tend to just "watch what I eat" instead of following a strict diet. Thought I'd share a couple gluten free dessert recipes. They'd be great for anyone at anytime regardless of allergies especially if you're low on flour.

Gluten-free Chocolate Macaroons

4 oz. flaked coconut, 1-14oz. can sweetened condensed milk, 4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted. Combine all ingredients in a bowl; mix well and drop by teaspoonful onto a well-greased baking sheet. Bake at 350degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove IMMEDIATELY from baking sheet and cool.

Gluten-free Peanut Butter Cookies

1 Cup peanut butter, 1 C. sugar, 1 egg, beaten, 1 teas. baking soda. Combine ingredients in bowl and mix well. Form into 1" balls; place on lightly greased baking sheet. BAke at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from sheet.

Canning the Last of the Garden: Today, we canned the last seven quarts of tomatoes from our garden. Other than pulling the beets, rutabegas and carrots, I think the garden is done producing. The deer and turkeys have been moving into the yard every morning and evening and the leaves are falling fast. Today, it's extremely windy and we're watching to see if any trees come down. There are four poplars swaying like they're taking a bow at the end of a performance. The poplars are far from the house but close to Sweetie's STUFF piled on pallets beneath a pond liner. Hopefully they'll stand until he gets out there with the chainsaw.

Tonight's Supper: We had just over a quart of tomatoes left in the pot after filling our seven quarts for the canner. So, I thawed a pound of hamburger, diced some green pepper that was in the veggie draw, and made Spanish Rice. As usual, I cook enough for another meal. Maybe it will be lunch tomorrow. I have froze the Spanish Rice but we did not like the texture of the rice when it thawed. Sweetie got a call from his mom to go next door and clean out her cupboards. Not much there but he came home with half a bag of marshmellows (something I never buy), an unopened bottle of Caro Syrup (again, I don't buy it), and four boxes of Rice Krispies. So guess what I whipped up for a dessert? Haven't made Rice Krispie treat since my 30-something children were kids! Oh well, not about to throw out free food.

Well, I have no further inspiration today. Feel like sitting with Mita the wonder cat and watching the trees sway. Take care, Treesong

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good evening Treesong!! I must say I enjoy reading your posts!! I can picture the things you so delightfully speak of and it puts a smile on my face!! Have a wonderful evening and please please keep writing!!!

Florida Mom