Monday, October 17, 2011

Family Visit

My youngest son and his children plus his girlfriend and her daughter visited us for three days.

What a contrast in life styles!

With the exception of the two year old, all of them were constantly on the move or hooked up to their electronic entertainment. It was comical to look around the living room their first night to see me on my laptop, Sweetie with his headset on so only he heard the TV and son and girlfriend texting while the grandchildren stared at their PSPs.

Friday Sweetie stayed home with our furry companions while we raced around Lansing, taking in as much as they could in 12 hours. Three hours at a museum; nearly two hours at a Chinese buffet; six hours at the mall and an hour fighting traffic and detours was enough to quench their fear of boredom - until we got home. Within five minutes of our arrival my son was searching for a movie theatre.

I'm still capable of giving him one of my looks which he recognized in time to realize the kids were asleep on the living room floor.

Saturday my son made a four hour round trip to drop his girlfriend off at her brother's. As soon as he drove in, his kids were putting their jackets on. I said, "Maybe we're not leaving for town yet." My granddaughter laughed and said, "Grandma, we have too much to do."

So, minutes later we were on the road again. We shopped at Meijer, Walmart, Menards and a local hardware. After another fast food lunch, we spent some time at a county park where he'd waded into the stream and nearly drowned at age three. Then it was off to a corn maze and KFC for a drive through bucket meal. Our dinner appointment was with my elderly friend who hadn't seen my son in 29 years. Another couple hours were spent reminiscing, laughing and making plans for next year when she'll be 78.

We left her home at 6:30 p.m. with the kids asking, "What now?, Dad?"

By then my legs felt like rubber and my mind like evaporating mist. We passed the theatre as the kids begged to see another movie and I fell asleep. After changing their clothes and more texting, they took off for town and I curled up on the sofa.

Sunday morning the son and his son went to a race car swap meet while my granddaughter and I baked cookies, apple crisp and lasagna. About 1 p.m. we all gathered at the kitchen table for a family meal with their cell phones placed next to the silverware. Sweetie asked if the phones were ever out of sight and my six year old grandson said, "Only if I'm in the shower."

An hour later they were on the road toward home but not before visiting some attraction in Mt. Pleasant. They planned to stay a night in a motel near Gladwin so they could pick his girlfriend up this morning. Whether that happened or not, I don't know. Maybe they finally tuckered out and are still asleep!

I spent Sunday afternoon washing bedding and towels, emptying garbage and returning pop cans. By 5 p.m. I collapsed on our bed for an overdue nap.

It was wonderful to see everyone but what a workout!

1 comment:

HossBoss said...

Company, especially family, is great and three days is just about perfect. Glad you had a good visit. I bet your son was very impressed with your studio! I don't know if you've done any more work on it but it looked great in the pictures you posted a couple of weeks ago.

: )