Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Journey, the Realizations

We departed the U.P. at 4:20 p.m. only to realize we had a flat tire on the U-Haul passenger side rear OUTSIDE tire. We were still in the driveway!!! After trying to fill the tire with a portable compressor Sweetie drove 16 miles to a station with air. Once he filled the tire he pulled forward so my truck tire could be checked. No sooner had he jumped out of the U-Haul and we heard a loud pop. The U-Haul tire deflated again.

Unbelievably, the tire never went completely flat; only down about two inches. It was Sunday evening and nightfall was approaching, so we continued on to the nearest U-Haul outlet that could possibly help us the next morning - another 32 miles away.

To shorten the story, we contacted U-Haul on my cell which kept disconnecting (poor coverage) and once again Sweetie's English/Irish temper got the best of him. Off he drove while I'm standing outside my truck talking to U-Haul foe the third time. I told the operator never mind, he's taken off and soon followed his disappearing tail lights.

We stopped every 50-100 miles checking the U-Haul tire, which never deflated further. So, the truck made the journey with a slight tilt toward the ditch but everything inside arrived in one piece!!!

My man has determination if nothing else.

WE arrived here exactly 13 hours later (Monday morning) exhausted but grateful. A short time later we had the bed unloaded and blankets piled high upon it. The pilot on the furnace had gone out and we weren't able to relight it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Three hours later I got up, made coffee and toast and Sweetie slept another five hours. I unloaded what I could from both trucks and rounded up our planned help. That in itself got interesting. Within four days of having arranged the help only one person showed up. Two others had the flu and one had got a much needed job. But, still running on sheer determination, we unloaded the truck and worked feverishly to fix a few things before we ran out of steam Wednesday afternoon.

I can't recall when I have ached so much or when three Aleve during a 24-hour period had NOT touched the pain. Sweetie slept most of Thursday and has since paced himself and taken better care of himself. Having satellite TV hooked up made all the difference because he and the remote and his recliner have become one again!

Today I felt clear headed enough to hook up the DSL and answer emails.

I'll post more later. In the meantime we are soooooooooooooooooooo grateful to be here. The realizations of what we've been missing, how fortunate we are and how awesome God is have flooded over us like waves from a refreshing sea.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Have a restful Sunday. Treesong


Mayberry said...

Glad y'all made it in one piece. I won't be moving far, but I'm dreading it...

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

I'm glad you made it okay in spite of the bad tire. I hope you can get things squared away and get some much needed rest. God certainly does take care of us, even when we don't realize it at the time!

: )

vlad said...

I'm happy that you made the trip safely. If you are over 60 and don't hurt anywhere it is because you are dead.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Know folks out here care how you all are doing and are helping you in spirit. You guys rest when you can . B.

Patsy said...

I don't know if I have ever posted a comment before but I read your blog faithfully. I was worried about you! So glad the move was successful. Take it easy, unpack slowly, and have a blessed day.

2 Tramps said...

Good to hear that you made it safely to your new home. And so begins a new adventure for you...